Sat, 17 Apr 2021

UNITED NATIONS, March 1 (Xinhua) -- UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said the outcome of Monday's high-level pledging conference for Yemen is disappointing.

Pledges announced a total of about 1.7 billion U.S. dollars -- less than last year's pledges and a billion dollars less than what was pledged at the conference in 2019, said Guterres in a statement.

"Millions of Yemeni children, women and men desperately need aid to live. Cutting aid is a death sentence," he said. "The best that can be said about today is that it represents a down payment. I thank those who did pledge generously, and I ask others to consider again what they can do to help stave off the worst famine the world has seen in decades."

At the pledging conference, Guterres asked for 3.85 billion dollars for humanitarian operations in Yemen for 2021.

World Food Programme Executive Director David Beasley said on Monday that 1.9 billion dollars is needed to prevent famine in Yemen. More money is needed for other forms of aid.

The United Nations will continue to stand in solidarity with the starving people of Yemen, said Guterres in the statement.

In the end, the only path to peace is through an immediate, nationwide cease-fire and a set of confidence-building measures, followed by an inclusive, Yemeni-led political process under UN auspices, and supported by the international community. There is no other solution, he said.

More Abu Dhabi News

Access More

Sign up for Abu Dhabi News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!